Sunday, February 27, 2011

83rd Academy Awards Predictions

The Awards are going to go down on Sunday, February 27th, 2011 and here are some of the predictions that I made based off of what I watched AND I also added which nominees WON during the Golden Globes. That way we can compare the winners from the Golden Globes and the winners from the Oscars to see if there were any discrepancies.

I hope that this time my predictions are going to be more accurate based on my new education of the movies (I finally watched most of them!) and the winners of the Golden Globes. I don't necessarily think that all of the GG winners should of won but that's my own opinion. As you can see I do differ than them in quite a few of them. Also, I'm not going to predict just for the hell of it, as we can see from last time, I opted out of 7 predictions because there was no way that I could have made a educated guess. Enjoy~!

Here are the nominees and predictions and GG winners (and if my predictions/GG match up), oh yes and I crossed out the ones who I don't think should win:

[Side note: when I crossed out some of the nominees, it's not that I don't like them or they don't deserve to win, but I think that some other of the nominees had way of a more substantial impact.]

Actor in a Leading Role

Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”
James Franco in “127 Hours”

OH MY GOSH! Colin Firth was AMAZING in The King's Speech! Just watched it about a week ago, hence the review, and his acting was impeccable. His stammering and stuttering was not forced, his troubles and tensions seemed real and he was just fantastic. Jesse Eisenberg was also good as Aaron Sorkin's version of Mark Zuckerberg, all weird and tweaked out and AWKWARD and I guess that was the point? But I saw Zuckerberg (the real one) along with Eisenberg and Mark doesn't seem that weird in real life. Jesse on the other hand, really is all nervous like that...for real. So for Firth, he was acting, and for Eisenberg, he was being himself. Therefore, Firth wins. :)

Actor in a Supporting Role

Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
John Hawkes in “Winter's Bone”
Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
Geoffrey Rush in “The King's Speech”

I haven't seen Rush in any other film except for Pirates of the Caribbean and as Lionel Logue in The King's Speech he was the polar opposite of a Pirate. He was dignified and lovely while still being odd and quirky with his mannerisms and methods. I think I just love the idea of  Lionel and it was Rush who was the medium, therefore I think that Rush should win. :)

Actress in a Leading Role

Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right” -- Comedy
Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
Natalie Portman in “Black Swan” -- Drama
Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

Natalie Portman, hands down. I don't think that Annette Bening was better than Natalie Portman in this category. Sorry!

Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”
Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”

I really liked The King's Speech but I don't think that HBC was really AMAZING in it, she was a cute and quirky character but the main players in the movie were definitely Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush, so not sure that HBC deserves this one. But I LOVE AMY ADAMS! WOOT!

Animated Feature Film

“How to Train Your Dragon”
“The Illusionist”
“Toy Story 3”


This one is an obvious win. Toy Story 3 is a genius end to a genius series. It deserves the win. No doubt.

Art Direction

“Alice in Wonderland”
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”
“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“True Grit”

You have to admit, whether or not you liked Inception (I watched it 3 times, and I loved it all 3 times) the art direction was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and so so so beautiful. Mind blowing and something that I think that a lot of future movies will turn to in reference. Remember when Matrix was regarded as so innovative with the scene of Neo dodging all those bullets in slow motion? And then it was imitated like 100 more times in other movies. Well, I think that Inception is the next Matrix.

Cinematography

“Black Swan”
“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“The Social Network"
“True Grit”

Cinematography is defined as "the art of making movies" by www.dictionary.com and I think that Inception really was the most artistically crafted movie out of these 5.

Costume Design

“Alice in Wonderland”
“I Am Love”
“The King's Speech”
“The Tempest”
“True Grit”

No matter how much of a failure Alice in Wonderland was, the costumes and makeup were out of control FABULOUS! I loved all of the main characters' costumes. :)

Directing

“Black Swan” -- Darren Aronofsky
“The Fighter” -- David O. Russell
“The King's Speech” -- Tom Hooper
“The Social Network” -- David Fincher
“True Grit” -- Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Black Swan still...I honestly don't think that the directing in The Social Network was better...

Documentary (Feature)


“Exit through the Gift Shop”
“Gasland”
“Inside Job”
“Restrepo”
“Waste Land”


Documentary (Short Subject)


“Killing in the Name”
“Poster Girl”
“Strangers No More”
“Sun Come Up"
“The Warriors of Qiugang”

Film Editing

“Black Swan”
“The Fighter”
“The King's Speech”
“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”

I really liked how The Social Network was filmed and edited with the back and forth between the memory flashbacks and the legal battles. Edited beautifully and it wasn't confusing at all.

Foreign Language Film


“Biutiful” Mexico
“Dogtooth” Greece
“In a Better World” Denmark
“Incendies” Canada
“Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)” Algeria


Makeup


“Barney's Version”
“The Way Back”
“The Wolfman”


No freaking clue.

Music (Original Score)

“How to Train Your Dragon”
“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”


Still kind of disagree with The Social Network as having better music than Inception from the GG...

Music (Original Song)

“Coming Home” from “Country Strong”
“I See the Light” from “Tangled”
“If I Rise” from “127 Hours”
“We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3"

Hmmmmmmm I think that Disney movies always pull through with the best music, not going to lie, so for me it's Tangled vs Toy Story 3. Loved Toy Story 3's "We Belong Together" much much better so TS3 it is!

Best Picture

“Black Swan”
“The Fighter”
“Inception”
“The Kids Are All Right”
“The King's Speech”
“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”
“Toy Story 3”
“True Grit”
“Winter's Bone"

I can't decide. I hate how they give us so many choices!! It makes it impossible to pick which one's "better" than the other one, but they were all so amazing! Yikes! The Social Network was the largest winner in the GG but I still think that Black Swan was better. And then The King's Speech was also super amazing!!!!!!!!! And then they also threw an animated movie into here??? It's so strange because it's on a whole other level. Oh no, so hard to choose! Got to go with my gut feeling on this one. :)

Short Film (Animated)


“Day & Night”
“The Gruffalo”
“Let's Pollute”
“The Lost Thing”
“Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)”


Did you watch The Gruffalo with Helena Bonham Carter??? It was beyond adorable. :) Yet I didn't watch the other ones so I can't say that it was necessarily better. Ahh short films are so hard to get a hold of! :( Must skip this one.


Short Film (Live Action)


“The Confession”
“The Crush”
“God of Love”
“Na Wewe”t
“Wish 143”


I can't make an educated guess on this one. I didn't watch any of these movies so I'm NOT going to guess for the hell of it. Skip. :(

Sound Editing

“Inception”
“Toy Story 3”
“Tron: Legacy”
“True Grit”
“Unstoppable”

I loved the music in Tron: Legacy, because not only do I love Daft Punk but I think that the music matched the movie PERFECTLY. I have the Tron: Legacy OST in my car. :)

Sound Mixing

“Inception”
“The King's Speech”
“Salt”
“The Social Network”
“True Grit”

What exactly is sound mixing?! Is it like the music and how well it blends in with the movie? Than it's definitely Inception!

Visual Effects

“Alice in Wonderland”
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”
“Hereafter”
“Inception”
“Iron Man 2”

A little bit tied up about this one. I thought that Inception was amazing, but I also loved Harry Potter's effects. Is it me being a nerdy HP fan or do I really think that it's better? Whatever, I picked Inception.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”
“Toy Story 3”
“True Grit”
“Winter's Bone”

Writing (Original Screenplay)

“Another Year”
“The Fighter”
“Inception”
“The Kids Are All Right”
“The King's Speech"

No doubt about my prediction for this one. The screenplay was beyond original and whether or not the Academy Awards agree with this one, I definitely think that this should win. I'm serious.

I think that the big winner will be Inception, and it's not because I loved the movie, I actually think that it's a little bit overrated after seeing it so many times but for most of the categories that it IS nominated for, I truly believe that it deserves it. And let me just tell you, I am probably one of the FIRST people, maybe the only one, to say that Inception is overrated and I don't apologize for it. The Indie Spirits Award's biggest winner last night was Black Swan though, but Black Swan isn't in many of the other categories that I think that Inception should win for.

I skipped 6 of the predictions, but hopefully the rest of mine will be right. *crosses fingers* :)

What are YOUR predictions? 

See you soon~!

Information compiled from: www.oscars.org and www.goldenglobes.org

No comments:

Post a Comment