Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Fighter (2010)

Main actors/actresses: Mark Wahlberg, Melissa Leo*, Christian Bale, Amy Adams


* indicates Oscar winners.


Trailer:

Summary:
Showing how torn Micky (Wahlberg) is about whether or not he should pursue his dreams or listen to his family's advice: his sports "manager" of his mother (Leo),  and especially his idolized big brother Dicky (Bale). Dicky, a once great boxer has turned to substance abuse  leaving Micky to fend for himself in the boxing world emotionally, and physically and literally lost on his career. And through all the adversity from his family, and some encouragement from his girlfriend Charlene (Adams) and a couple of others, he decides to do it and go for his dream, his way. And needless to say he becomes a great champion. :)

My thoughts:
Finally watched it, 3.5 months too late but it doesn't matter. It was amazing. Completely understand why Melissa Leo won over Amy Adams for the Oscar's Best Supporting Actress, but still iffy on Christian Bale vs. Geoffrey Rush from The King's Speech. They're just too different to compare and both of their acting abilities show a wide spectrum of genius that I kind of can't pick. But it really is amazing. I was surprised that I actually liked it but now I understand what everyone's talking about now. Should've totally watched these 2 movies before my Oscar predictions but oh well, they deserved it. :)

Review:

The movie has every sports movie cliche that you can imagine. There's a uphill battle against adversity, but in the end, it all works out. They win. Everyone's happy. End of story. But it's not.

Instead there's terrific terrific terrific acting. There's nothing forced about the movie which just makes this movie so much better and believable. The only big qualm I have about this movie is that the ending is abrupt. I mean the ending is good except it doesn't take it all the way leaving the audience wanting more. Well at least for me I guess.

I would and could write more excepts but I don't really want to ruin the movie for anyone who's planning on watching it, basically, you will WANT TO watch this movie. I promise. :)

---
Even if you don't like sports movies, like me, I think that you'll appreciate it for its great cast and its tempting so go out and watch. Mad love for this movie, and it doesn't help that Wahlberg is adorable, he makes even sweat rolling down on a shirt look hot and all. :)

Grade: A- (due to the lack of an ending)

No comments:

Post a Comment